Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Love white? You must be afraid of color!

If you're like me and you love white decor, I can guarantee that at least once (but more likely several times) you've heard people say in exasperation, "Are you afraid of color or what!?!". To the contrary, though I love white, I am not afraid of color. I'm a graphic designer, color is a huge & important part of my life. I recognize the beauty & power it has and use it boldly & daily. Still, wether in home decor, fashion or design, white feels, has always felt, the most dramatic & exciting to me.

In home decor, white creates a dramatic backdrop for amazing collections of art and unique furniture. It feels peaceful & electric at once. It's white hot & billowy calm in the same breath... no color I've ever seen has done for my soul what white does. It inspires me so fully.

As I mentioned above, I've always preferred white, especially in home decor. Unfortunately, I haven't always followed my heart in this matter. In my younger years, I resisted the pull to white and found myself reluctantly heading out to the paint store to choose some trendy or safe 'color' that would inevitably grow old. Usually in a matter of weeks! None of those colors ever aroused my curiosity or creativity. The only feelings they ever evoked in me were passion killing boredom, I'm talkin' nails down a chalkboard, unable to focus on anything else in the room because this beige is so ugly, kind of feelings! I was young & lacked confidence in my natural pull toward the simple, dramatic beauty of minimal white design.

Eventually, I decided to take Eleanor Roosevelt's advice and follow my heart, embracing my love of white. And yes, there were critics. There are critics still. I can tell you honestly though, it's been many years since I gave in to my longings for white & it has yet to grow old to me! It still inspires my heart and brings me joy and comfort.

As I write this post, I sit in our very new home (we moved in only ONE WEEK ago!) It's been painted a beautiful shade of white (Sherwin-Williams Ibis White 7000) throughout. This blog is where I will be documenting my journey of making something of our new home! There's a lot to be done and there will be plenty of good art and bling and yes, lots of white too! So, whether it be white, candy apple red or that perfect shade of aquamarine that inspires you, all of us want to create a warm, inspiring and interesting place to call home.  Join me, as I infuse joy & personal touches into our home and try to inspire you to do the same, no matter what color you love!

I love this quote from the folks over at Living with White "Some say those that love white are afraid of color. We feel those that love color just might be afraid of white!".

What do you think? Does white excite, or is it a bore? What excites your soul in decor?

11 comments:

  1. I love white too! I think it is the perfect vessel for adding things to.. It's timeless it's beautiful and makes my heart sing so to speak. And light brown... Who would want to live in a white brown house??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simone! I totally agree! You're work is lovely! I noticed you right away at BYWBootcamp! Thank you for stopping by, I look forward to getting to know you! Warmly, Mariah

      Delete
  2. You know, when we moved into our house six years ago, I went a little crazy with color (albeit muted colors), and now I desperately want to paint everything white. I've got a little sample can of Benjamin Moore Decorator's White at home just tempting me to try it out. If it weren't for our crazy vaulted ceilings, I'm sure I would have done it already. Love your blog design, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! Thank you so much for your note! I did the same thing, I even tried orange!!! It was not me at all! I look forward to seeing whether you try the white out or not!! :D We have some really tall spots and it was pretty expensive to do, but I had to do it. The brown seriously killed any joy I had at moving into our new home! :D I loved that last photo of your house here: http://www.itssosuburban.com/2011/11/13/i-did-it-all-for-the-shutters The paint on the garage doors is so cute! I look forward to getting to know you in bootcamp and on your blog!!

      Delete
  3. First, I really love the color palette of your blog - one of my favorite combos :)

    Also, I never thought about it before, but I totally agree with you - white is so much riskier than color! I never even considered using all-white when we moved into our house, even though I frequently admire all-white spaces online. It seems so risky because you run the possibility of having no personality if it isn't done right... but when it is done right, it is striking, bold, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Thank you! I always love the all white spaces online too, there's just something so confident and bold about them. I'm so glad to meet you, thank you sincerely for stopping by and taking the time to comment. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hi Mariah, I am a fellow student in BYW. I love your blog. Although I usually prefer colors other than white, you've convinced me to give white a chance. I typically am quick to color over white, but after reading your post, I think that I will give it a chance. Blessings, lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia! Wow! What a great comment & compliment, thank you! I look forward to following your blog and watching to see what you do with white! :D Thank you for writing and visiting! ^_^

      Delete
  5. At the middle of your post I was thinking: People are afraid of powerful white!! I couldn't be more agree with that last quote.

    It takes courage to choose white cause the challenge is make the room shine through the furniture and other elements of decoration.
    The must elegant color to me!

    I loved your blog, simply lovely!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iris! Very nice to meet you! I appreciate your comment and compliment! Thank you. I totally agree with you, here's to white! xo

      Delete
  6. Hello Mariah, I just came back from Sherwin Williams with about 10 white paint chip samples. Ibis white matches the kitchen cabinets I will have, but seems to have a pink hue, I am wondering why you chose this paticular white and if you know if it is cool or warm? My house is currently painted with Chantilly Lace, but I want to choose a true sherwin Willliams color. Thanks for any help you can offer!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS